We have yet to encounter a couple who doesn’t want everyone to have a great time at their reception – from the youngest guests to the oldest — and creating a diverse playlist is key to making that happen. It’s important to choose songs that are almost universally appealing. This will encourage the involvement of all of your guests, which makes for great memories (and great pictures!).
For couples whose music tastes skews toward more modern tracks, it can be hard to know which songs their parents, aunts, uncles and even grandparents will enjoy. Here are 10 proven tracks that are sure to get everyone on the floor:
- Frank Sinatra: “The Way You Look Tonight”
- Bobby Darin: “Beyond the Sea”
- Elvis Presley: “Can’t Help Falling In Love”
- Bob Seger: “Old Time Rock & Roll”
- The Beatles: “Twist and Shout”
- Van Morrison: “Brown Eyed Girl”
- Stevie Wonder: “Signed, Sealed, Delivered”
- Otis Day and The Knights: “Shout”
- The Romantics: “What I Like About You”
- Neil Diamond: “Sweet Caroline”
We’ve also found that even the oldest guests at a wedding tend to enjoy more current songs, if they’re mixed in toward the latter part of the reception and are instantly recognizable — the more ubiquitous, the better! Some of the more current tracks we’ve caught the grandparents boogie-ing to include Taio Cruz’s “Dynamite,” The Black Eyed Peas’ “I Gotta Feeling,” Outkast’s “Hey Ya!” and Katy Perry’s “Firework.” If it’s playing on a “mix” station, chances are your older guests have heard them!
Working with your DJ or band to create a playlist that spans many decades and includes songs that all ages enjoy is a great way to ensure everyone remembers your wedding as a party to remember!